Facebook, Twitter and Instagram …
All the people I know, they have at least one of these sites, and from the moment they started creating their own account, I knew, just like me, they’re world just revolved in social media.
When I created my facebook account, it was good, it used to be my stress-reliever after high school class, I enjoy its games (Pet Society, Farmville and others), and I like how I can just scroll and know the news about my friends.
Then there comes the time when tons of friend requests was sent and received, news feed was loaded with posts of my facebook friends who I don’t know. My friends at facebook are around 1,800 and more. And I think almost half of it are the friends I really know in real life.
And now, everything in facebook became toxic. How? I’ll enumerate the things I saw in facebook that made me want to deactivate it.
- Fake news – I am tired of reading every fake and exaggerated news in Facebook, and what makes me more sad is that people are sharing it and reacts with it as if no one could read their thoughts. For example, last week, I plan on heading to SM that afternoon, until I saw this news of someone got killed at SM with a picture of someone lying in the floor. I was really scared that time because I believed in it. Later did I know, the picture was just a beggar, lying at SM parking. You don’t really know what to believe in Facebook.
- Discrimination & Insult– I just can’t believe how people find mistakes in others and just make fun of it. ALWAYS. I have this one incident, a high school girl just posted something with a wrong spelling or wrong grammar, and the shares of that post blasted into hundred thousand. If I were the high school girl, I think I would just deactivate or even delete (if possible) my facebook account, and forever will be vanished to the social media world. I also felt sad when I saw a post of “*tag a friend*, she is looking for you.” inserted a picture of a very thin girl because of a disease. The girl is currently struggling due to the disease, and what more could she feel when she see the picture. And I can read the comments “yuck.” “eeew”, the girl doesn’t deserve any of these.
- Anxiety and Depression – Have you ever scroll on your facebook newsfeed and see your friends travelling everywhere in the country? or in the world? How does it feel? Do you have same sentiments as mine like, “Oh, they’re enjoying their lives out there and here am I, stuck in the four corners of our office.”, and suddenly, you’re depressed. You feel like your life is such a boring piece, and there’s nothing interesting about it. You’ll start asking yourself, why your life is like that? YOu work and work and work, just work. What did your facebook friends do to deserve that kind of life? Also, have you ever followed some sexy idols in facebook wishing your body was also like that, it is when the insecurity occurs. Facebook has made a standard for all, you should be like this, like that, and when when you are not like that or this, you are not accepted by the society. And it hurts.
- Heartbreak – Oh yes, this is also one of the reasons, but not my major reason. I’ve been out the facebook because I can’t take it stalking may past love of my life. haha. I unfollowed him, unfriend, but still I stalk him. And it’s all useless. So I decided to finally deactivate my account.
- Unproductive life – So, the company I’ve been working for is not that strict and they allow social media sites in our computers, and when I start to log in, I found myself being unproductive all day. All I did was to scroll and scroll and scroll, and then out. And I started having the social media detox, I really found myself productive, no work pending.
I’ve been off the social media for a week, and all I get was just a peace of mind. And it’s all worth it. I start appreciating everything in this world instead of everything in the virtual world. And also because of it, I think I had more time for myself now, I am not the usual girl waiting for new news in facebook, waiting for notifications, and thinking that my life is just a boring piece. I like how quiet my life is now.
And yes, I also like how you guys (bloggers) and new friends here at wordpress made me feel. There are no rants in your blogs, and you see the beauty in life, I love how positive you are in travelling and blogging, and your perspective in life. I love how a simple day came out to be a happy day for you. I love how you think and, I really love reading your blogs!
Let’s have more sharing of thoughts here, friends! I’d love to know you all. 😀
PS: I activated by FB Account, but limited the use of it and uninstalled it in on my phone. It’s good.